Sunday, November 15, 2009

RIP Buell

I guess my very first post has to be devoted to my beloved Buell sportbike. Erik Buell had struggled for a long time to create a truly unique and high quality American sportbike (read the Book of Buell). The introduction of the 1125R in 2008 was the beginning of a new era. While perhaps a bit rushed and buggy at its introduction, by 2009, I think Buell had it down. So much so, they won the 2009 AMA Daytona Sportbike Championship (piloted by Danny Eslick).

Probably few people beyond Erik Buell will ever know all the details. But, Buell got in bed with Harley Davidson. I know many of the reasons why this happened, but, in my humble opinion, this was a mistake from the get go. HD dealers really wanted nothing to do with Buell. Most dealers shoved them in the corner of their shop. Salespeople had no interest in moving them. Mechanics had little knowledge of what to do with them. The bikes sold themselves only to a passionate few.

More importantly, bad engineering was forced on Buell. The sportster engine, while a serviceable v-twin, is NOT a sportbike engine and never would/could/should be (apologies to XB12R Firebolt fans). The introduction of the Rotax engine and other well thought out refinements produced a kick butt bike. I am so happy to own and ride one.

Then came the dreaded day: October 15, 2009. Erik Buell provided a press release and one of the saddest videos I think I have ever watched announcing the closing of Buell (by HD). I have to be honest, I can't say that I am not angry with HD. Their actions seem punitive at best. No effort was made to sell the company, only close it. At least HD had the decency to uphold existing warrantees and provide parts for a few years. I don't think HD even realizes how many people they pissed off at this point. Buell was not a moneymaker to date because no one at HD made any effort to move it. Now that it was a proven winner, HD drops it just when it was poised to take off...just doesn't make sense to me.

The only silver lining to this whole mess was that I was able to pick up a 2009 1125CR at cost. While an "unanticipated purchase", I am happy to have it in the paddock. While pretty much the same platform as the R, it has its own distinct style and attitude in the true cafe racer tradition. Despite my bad feelings towards Harley Davidson at this point, I will say that the people I worked with for the purchase of both my 1125R and CR were decent folks: S&P Harley Davidson.

I am saddened by the loss of Buell. Prima facie, HD did Buell wrong. Has so from the get go as best as I can figure. This is an iconic company with a bold American heritage. I am so glad I went to AMA Mid-Ohio races in 2009 to see Danny Eslick take the top spot on the AMA sportbike podium. I pray there is a future for Erik, the good people of Buell, and the grand American sportbike tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment